- Corporate body
Mount Royal University is a public university in Calgary, Alberta.
Mount Royal University is a public university in Calgary, Alberta.
Mount Royal University Library is the academic library of Mount Royal University.
Alpha Upsilon Delta was the official name of the local chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa academic honour society at Mount Royal College. Founded at Mount Royal College as the 1000th chapter of Phi Theta Kappa on November 19, 1991, the chapter was active on campus until 1998 when it was discontinued. While affiliated with Mount Royal College, Phi Theta Kappa members participated in organizing student events, producing a society newsletter, organizing annual induction ceremonies, and maintaining office hours for the benefit of their membership.
Phi Theta Kappa is an international honour society for two-year colleges designed for students with high academic achievement. The society was formed in 1918 in Jackson, Mississippi and is still active today with 1250 chapters across the United States, Canada, and internationally. The goal of the Phi Theta Kappa society is to foster academic excellence by providing opportunities for leadership training, promoting an interchange of ideas, and to ingrain scholars with a desire for continuing education.
"The Communist Party of Canada was founded in 1921. We have a proud, 90 year history of fighting for a socialist future for Canada. We are a small party with big ideas. The Communist Party is a registered Federal political party, and we have successfully campaigned for that democratic right, and pushed forward the legal rules on political parties in Canada. But the Communist Party is a very different type of organization from the other political parties in Canada and is active in much more than elections."
"In fighting for fundamental change, the Communists express the ideals of vast numbers of Canadians who aspire to a new, humane social order free from exploitation and oppression. In this sense we cherish and promote the highest quality of the working class – devotion to the liberating socialist cause, the cause of human freedom and happiness. We seek to cultivate this humanist ethic among the working people. Since the founding of the Communist Party of Canada in 1921, Canadian communists have held high the banner of peace, Canadian independence, democracy and socialism. They have always stood with the struggles of the workers and farmers for a better life, often providing leadership for those struggles. Today we are ninety five years stronger as a Party — still growing, developing, active and relevant."
"The Communist Party - Alberta advocates socialism and working class power. We take part in democratic struggles as well as elections."
The Board of Governors is the governance authority for Mount Royal University. The main responsibility of the Board of Governors is to act as senior oversight and to guarantee the activities of Mount Royal are in line with its mandate, vision, and mission.
The Act to Incorporate Mount Royal College was passed on December 16th, 1910. However, the Board of Governors had their first meeting in August 1910 to establish an academic and financial plan for the college. At its inception, the full Board consisted of thirty-three members and met annually. The Executive Committee, which consisted of the four officers plus six regular Board members, met monthly and was given the authority to transact all of the business of the Board and College between meetings of the full Board of Governors. During Mount Royal's years as a private college, members of the Board of Governors were drawn primarily from the United Church network due to the school’s Methodist roots. This tendency changed after the college became public with Board members coming from a wider base including members of the Conservative Party, the Calgary Board of Education, and volunteers active in local health and community organizations. During the transition to a public college the Board briefly changes its name to the 'Board of Trustees' in order to take over the assets, liabilities, and administration of the private college. The name of the Board reverted back to the Board of Governors in January of 1970.
The Colleges Act of 1969 changed the composition of the Board to include the college president, a Board chair, six public members chosen by the Government, one member nominated by the Student's Association, and one member nominated by the Faculty Association. In 1982 the first support staff member was added to the Board of Governors making the total member number eleven. In 1972 the Board of Governors’ standing committees also underwent restructuring to include members of the faculty, student body, and administration for the first time. The 1990s saw another notable change to the composition of the Board as Mount Royal was actively trying to become a degree granting institution. Community volunteers were replaced with prominent business leaders who were considered to be strategically placed to push Mount Royal’s interests.
Currently the Board of Governors consists of thirteen members made up of the Board chair, the university president, a faculty representative, a support staff representative, the president of the Student’s Association, and eight public members. The Board continues to be directed by several statues and regulations that direct its responsibilities, the foremost being the Post-Secondary Leaning Act. The entire Board has an obligation to meet at least four times a year and one meeting must be opened to the public. The Board of Governors continues to carry out much of its work through standing committees, of which there are currently five: Academic Affairs Committee, Audit and Risk Committee, Finance Committee, Campus Development Committee, Governance and Nominating Committee, and the Human Resources Committee.
The Office of the Registrar is the official repository of student records and provides administrative services to Mount Royal students. The office has existed since the start of Mount Royal's operations in 1910, with the first person to hold the office being Professor John H. Beazley. The primary duties of the Registrar is to provide registration and withdrawal assistance, process tuition and other fee payments, print official and unofficial transcripts, confirm graduation eligibility, maintain student records, and act as a student resource for academic and administrative policies.
The Mount Royal University Foundation is a philanthropic society affiliated with Mount Royal University. The Foundation seeks out and encourages private sector support of Mount Royal University and stewards collected funds. The Foundation supports Mount Royal University's goal, to provide an exceptional undergraduate experience, by raising funds, working as a community ambassador, endowing student scholarships, and supporting innovative programs and campus spaces.
"Great West Newspapers Limited Partnership is a chain of news outlets throughout Alberta. Headquartered in St. Albert, Alberta, the company is co-owned by Jamison Newspapers and Glacier Ventures International Corporation. Each organization has a 50% stake in the company.
Great West Newspapers LP is committed to producing quality journalism in Alberta, providing credible and reliable news information in both online and print formats. The company holds its readers in the highest regard because we believe that producing quality journalism results in a strong product for both the public and our advertisers. We are dedicated to providing the best community news in Canada!"
The Alumni Association of Mount Royal College was incorporated under the Societies Act of the Province of Alberta on May 27, 1982. When Mount Royal College became a university, the organization was renamed the Mount Royal University Alumni Association.
The Mount Royal Faculty Association (MRFA) is a trade union that represents all full-time, limited-term, and contract academic staff that teach credit courses at Mount Royal University. The Association "...provides a collective voice for faculty, promotes tenure and academic freedom, advocates for the highest standards of professionalism in higher education, and upholds the values of diversity, equity and human rights." The main purposes of the MRFA is to participate in collective bargaining to negotiate a Collective Agreement for its members and uphold and resolve the grievance process.
The Financial Services Department is responsible for the accurate and timely capture, analysis, and reporting of all financial information for Mount Royal University, the Mount Royal University Foundation, and the Mount Royal Day Care Society.
The mandate of the Archives and Special Collections is to support teaching, learning, and scholarship through the development of archival holdings and specialized library collections.
The Office of University Advancement is responsible for Mount Royal University's marketing, communications, development (fundraising), and alumni relations.
The Mount Royal University Conservatory was originally known as the Mount Royal College Conservatory of Music and Speech Arts until the early 1990s, and then named the Mount Royal College Conservatory until 2009 when Mount Royal College earned its status as a university institution. The music school of Mount Royal College (now located on its Lincoln Park campus in Calgary, Alberta), was established in Calgary in 1910 by the Methodist (later United) Church as a residential high school. In 1931 the college became affiliated with the University of Alberta and began offering two-year undergraduate courses leading to a diploma, a practice that continues in the 21st century. Graduates of the music performance program received a diploma and credits for two years at the University of Calgary (later expanded to include all Alberta universities). The Alberta Department of Education grants high school credits for the completion of certain examinations.
Though the conservatory's speech arts department was established only in 1945, the music department has been part of the college from the outset. It opened with a faculty of five under the direction of Wilfred V. Oaten and a student enrolment of less than 100. By 1990 there were approximately 100 teachers on campus and another 40 affiliated teachers working out of their homes (referred to as 'Branch Teachers'). By 2005, the conservatory had 240 teachers on campus and another 50 affiliated teachers teaching from their homes, reaching 5,000 Calgary area students.
The conservatory provides instruction and training in music (classical or jazz), speech arts and theatre arts. Instructional programs include Suzuki and Kodály and an extensive range of music and drama courses in its summer camps and workshops. The conservatory offers both credit and non-credit programs. It also has an extensive visiting artist program and a successful professional training program.
The Academy of Music program for gifted students under the age of 18, started in 1980, is offered for all orchestral instruments and piano; in addition there are a two-year post-secondary performance program established in 1981 with classical and jazz streams, a choral program directed by David Ferguson, and general interest programs for the public. Graduates of the music performance program receive a diploma and credit for two years at any Alberta university. The conservatory began to sponsor the Summer Strings Academy in 1982. Until 1988 this was a joint project of Alberta Culture and the University of Calgary. Alberta Culture continues to provide scholarship funds. Starting in 1984 the Summer Suzuki Piano Institute has offered courses with an emphasis on teacher training.
Videoconferencing began in 2004, to enable Mount Royal College Conservatory instructors to teach students across the country. In 2005 the technology was upgraded to offer three-way videoconferencing, to allow music students in two different Canadian locations to connect with their instructor.
Paul Dornian became director in 1992. Other directors of the conservatory have been J.E. Hodgson, Frederic Rogers, P.L. Newcombe, Jascha Galperin (1940-1944), Cyril Mossop (1944-1951), Harold Ramsay (1951-1962), John Garden (1962-1963), Peter Hodgson (1963-1964), J.S. Peter Bach (1964-1974), Leona Flegal Paterson (1974-1977), and Norman Burgess (1978-1992). The teaching faculty has included, in addition to the directors, Gladys Egbert, Clayton Hare, Leonard Leacock (for whom the Leacock Music Theatre, opened on campus in 1972, was named), Mary Munn, Lise Elson, John Kadz, John Thompson, Nicholas Pulos, Joan Barrett, and Peter Turner.
The conservatory is especially known for its orchestras. The Mount Royal College Symphony Orchestra, organized in 1937 by Jascha Galperin, became the basis of the Calgary Symphony Orchestra under Clayton Hare in 1949. Frank Simpson, then music co-ordinator of the college's Community Services department, founded in 1968 the Calgary Youth Orchestra, under the auspices of the conservatory. The conservatory's ensembles have also included string orchestras, wind symphonies, a flute choir, the Calgary Fiddlers, the MRC Jazz Big Band, the Mount Royal Youth Choir, the Children's Choir, and the Junior Children's Choir. The Lyric Chamber Players and the Palenai Piano Duo also have been affiliated with the college. In 1995, the Mount Royal Kantorei Choir was formed. This is a mixed chorus of auditioned adult voices under the direction of David Ferguson. The choir released its first CD, Canadian Choral Gems, in 2001.
Some of the conservatory's prominent students include Yuri Hooker, principal cello, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra; Tanya Kalmonovitch, violist; Rhian Kenny, flutist, Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra; Martha Baldwin, cellist, Cleveland Orchestra; Katherine Chi, pianist, winner of the 2000 Honens Competition; and Alan Van Sprang, TV/film actor
The School of Nursing and Midwifery is part of Mount Royal University's Faculty of Health, Community, and Education, and as of 2019 offers the following programs: Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Midwifery, the Bridge to Canadian Nursing, and the Advanced Studies in Critical Care Nursing Certificate.
Mount Royal’s nursing program was launched in 1967 as a two-year diploma program under the directorship of Jean Mackie. At the time, the College's Diploma Nursing Program was controversial because previously most nursing education had consisted of either apprenticeship programs run by hospitals or four-year degree programs taught in universities. However, the program grew and gained acceptance over several decades, eventually expanding to include certificate programs in specialty areas of nursing including: operating room and intensive care nursing, post-basic mental health nursing, occupational health nursing, extended care nursing, and gerontological nursing. The Diploma Nursing Program continued until 1993, with the last cohort graduating in 1995.
In the 1980s, the Nursing and Allied Health Department started to explore options for offering a nursing degree program through Mount Royal College. After several years of research and planning, an agreement was reached in 1992 through which the three nursing programs offered in Calgary were merged into one program, the Calgary Conjoint Nursing Program (CCNP), a collaborative baccalaureate program offered by Mount Royal College, the University of Calgary, and the Foothills Hospital School of Nursing. The program launched in 1993 with the first class of students graduating in 1997. The program offered classes at all three institutions and students had the option of completing either a four-year Bachelor of Nursing degree or a two-year nursing diploma. The Calgary Conjoint Nursing Program was initially only approved for a six-year trial period, but the partnership continued for eleven years, with the last students graduating in 2004.
As the Calgary Conjoint Nursing Program wound down and the last intake of students occurred in 2000, the Mount Royal College Centre for Health Studies sought out other partnerships in order to continue to provide a Bachelor of Nursing option without interruption to student enrollment. They eventually reached an agreement with Athabasca University in 2000, which allowed Mount Royal to provide university-level nursing courses at the Lincoln Park campus taught by Mount Royal faculty. The Athabasca University at Mount Royal College (AU @ MRC) Bachelor of Nursing program officially launched in 2001 and ran until 2013, with the last intake of students into the program occurring in 2010.
The partnership with Athabasca University allowed Mount Royal College to continue to provide university-level nursing education while it pursued independent degree-granting status.
In 2007 the nursing program became Mount Royal College’s very first baccalaureate degree program, and in 2011 the School of Nursing launched Alberta's first Bachelor of Midwifery degree.